When you have connected Elements space with your Salesforce org, you can check where any field is being used and how much it is being used.
- How populated is this field?
- Field population breakdown for an object
- % population logic and troubleshooting
- Where is this field used?
How populated is this field ?
Find the object name in the org model, then open up the "Fields" node in its structure. Then select the field (listed by name) you want to investigate and open up the "Usage" tab in the right panel. You will see a vertical bar chart showing how populated is a given field by each record type it is used on.
If you want to quickly review field population for a given object you can either check the % population data on the object level or run a report on field population.
Field population breakdown for an object
If you select the parent object and open up the "Usage" tab in the right sidebar you will see the list of all of that object's fields in a vertical bar chart with % population. This is an aggregate population across last 10k records and is not broken down by record type.
Click on "View all" below the chart to expand it and see all fields. You can also use the filter to narrow it down to custom, standard or system fields.
% population logic and troubleshooting
- Getting the field % population for all records is a big task that is why we run it on a weekly basis (if you turned on the automatic sync) rather than with each sync.
- We automatically fetch the data for the last 10,000 updated records for each standard and custom object in your core Org. If you would prefer to see the full % population for the last 1 000 000 updated records just fetch the data manually using the Update text button in either the field's or object's Usage tab.
- We do not fetch the % population data for managed package objects automatically. You first need to add the package to the sync, then once it is part of your Org model you need to update the data by clicking on the button in the right panel.
- If you sync any new objects between the weekly % population data fetch then they won't have any % population data yet and they will show up with errors if you try running a report. A simple solution is to fetch the % population data manually for the objects you are interested in.
- We don't get % population data for formula fields as they are almost always fully populated.
Where is this field used?
Under the vertical % population chart on a field you can see collapsed lists of items that are using this particular field grouped by type. Click on the ">" to expand the section to see the individual items.
Items that use the selected field will be listed with a hyperlink icon to Salesforce setup for that item. When you roll over the listed item you will see a popover with the key metadata:
You can check whether a field is being used by:
- Apex Classes
- Apex Triggers
- Approval Processes
- Email Templates
- Field Sets
- Formula Fields
- Global Actions
- Page Layouts
- Process Builder Workflows
- Sharing Rules
- Validation Rules
- Workflow Field Updates
- Workflow Rules
Note on Apex usage
There are just a few apex structures for which we currently do not support the field usage information, these are:
- Nested SOQL
- Chain of lookups in SOQL
- Dependency usage from other classes
- SObjects and methods from SObjects
- Reinitialization of variables to a different type
- When a Developer org has a namespace but uses field/object without namespace
- Switch-case statement (for apex classes with version 43.0 and more)