We're sorry you have had to come here. We know you want to see your Salesforce Org metadata and it is frustrating when your sync fails or seems to be taking a long time.
We use the Salesforce APIs to get the data from Salesforce. There are a number of reasons that the sync fails - but we are not always told why. Here are some of the symptoms.
Taking a long time:
The time depends on the loading of the Salesforce servers. A brand new Dev Org takes 5-10 mins. A huge Org (60,000 items) takes 2-3 hours. Sandboxes run slower than Production.
You can set the Org Model sync to run nightly. This is set up in the Elements Space Management page in the Integrations section.
Sync failed (got an email or message in Org Model):
Sometimes it seems like Salesforce servers just "lost the plot" and stopped. We're not told why. It may be that some metadata has synced.
Simply rerunning the sync works. I know it sounds awful, but usually it runs fine.
Sync fails almost instantly:
This normally means that the Remote Site Setting is incorrect, so Salesforce won't let Elements sync. This could be for the following reasons:
- One of the two Remote Site Setting is missing or incorrect. There should be https://api.q9elements.com and then EITHER https://na99.salesforce.com where na99 is your server OR https://AAA.my.salesforce.com where AA is your MyDomain.
- Your Org has been moved to new pod, i.e. na53 to na8. So, you need to update the Remote Site Setting, e.g. https://na53.salesforce.com changed to https://na57.salesforce.com.
- You have implemented MyDomain which means you need to ADD a new Remote Site Setting, e.g. https://AAA.my.salesforce.com where AA is your MyDomain.
Sync returns a "Salesforce token not found" error
This means that either:
- in Elements, the connection has not been authenticated; or
- in Elements, the Salesforce user that was authenticated does not belong to this Org or does not have right to access the API.
You can reset the token in the Integrations page of Space Management in Elements.
You need to make sure that there are no other Salesforce Orgs open or Elements can authenticate with the wrong Org. The easiest way is to:
- Log out of all Orgs
- Clear all cookies and cache from browser
- Log back into Elements Space Management page
- Click ‘refresh token’
- Login to the correct Prod or Sandbox Org
Not all managed package metadata has synced:
We sync all the core data and the managed packages that you have selected to be included.
These are set at the bottom of the page in Salesforce, in the "Elements Settings" tab in the "Org Model Set" sub tab.
An item (e.g. object) doesn't seem to be in Org Model
For some reason an item caused an error and won't sync. There is no consistent pattern. Rather than stop the whole sync, we skip it and keep going. We can look back into the log files and work with you to resolve the issue.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your email, the Org Model name and Space name.
Rerun the sync:
Simply rerunning the sync works. I know it sounds awful, but most times it runs ok. You can kick off the sync from the
- Elements Space Management page in the Integrations page
- In the Org Model in the right panel in the SYNC HISTORY tab
- in Salesforce, in the Elements Settings tab in the Org Model Setup sub tab.
Email us with your Org Model name and Space name. We can then wade through the huge (500k) log file to find out what happened.