Installation and Setup
What is Quickstart?
We want you to get a unique view of your Org as easily as possible. So, QuickStart does the following
- creates an Elements user account which is the email associated Salesforce username for the Org you are connecting
- creates an Elements Space (Pro 14 day trial)
- connects that Space to the Org and sets up the authentication
- kicks off the Org sync
- sends you an email when the sync is completed (10 mins to 2 hours)
- click on the link in the email to open the Salesforce Org Model ad Org Analytics Report.
DO NOT USE Quick start if:
- already have an Elements user account (username = email address)
- you already have run QuickStart and have a Space "Salesforce Documentation: (myco.com.....)" and want to connect another Org (Prod or Sandbox) to the same Space
- the Sandbox you are using was NOT set up by you. When the Sandbox is created all Salesforce username emails have .invalid added to the end (e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org ) for everyone but the person who created the Sandbox.
Instead you should run Manual Setup (below) which takes only a minute more.
Running Quick Start (NEW ELEMENTS USERS)
Running Manual Setup (EXISTING ELEMENTS USERS)
Installing Chrome Extension
To see Elements insights and in-app help inside Salesforce Setup and record pages you need to install the Chrome Extension. DOWNLOAD . The video shows the features.
I'm already registered in Elements - can I use QuickStart?
No. Use Manual Setup
I already have some Spaces, so what does QuickStart do?
QuickStart will create a new Space for you and connect it to the Org that you launched QuickStart from. Do not run Quick Start if you want to use the existing Space.
I want to connect my Org (Prod or Sandbox) to an existing Space
You will need to go through Manual Setup.
Can I use QuickStart on Production, Sandbox and Dev Orgs?
We recommend you use it on a Sandbox or Dev to run your trial.
How many times can I use QuickStart?
Once. Why would you run it again and create another Space and user name? If you want to extend an existing trial contact email@example.com
I can't see the Quick Start in the Elements Settings tab in Salesforce
That is because that Org is already connected to a Space in Elements. You can disconnect the Org from the Space in the Elements Space Management page in the Connections section. You will LOSE all data in the Org Model.
After Quick Start has run how do I log into Elements?
Go to Elements.cloud and the login is top right. Enter your Salesforce email and click "LOG IN WITH SALESFORCE". You may need to enter your Salesforce password in the Salesforce login page. You will then be taken to Elements. Select "Org Model" from the left menu.
Where is the data stored?
We only store your configuration metadata, not your Salesforce data, i.e. objects, fields, email templates, apex triggers. This is stored in our database running on AWS, not on the Salesforce platform. Here is our Data Security and Compliance Document
Do you store my password?
No. We authenticate against your Salesforce password using OAuth so we never see or store your password.
Troubleshooting (Sync failed)
We're sorry you have had to come here. We know you want to see your Salesforce Org metadata and it is frustrating when your sync fails or seems to be taking a long time.
We use the Salesforce APIs to get the data from Salesforce. There are a number of reasons that the sync fails - but we are not always told why. Here are some of the symptoms.
Taking a long time:
The time depends on the loading of the Salesforce servers. A brand new Dev Org takes 5-10 mins. A huge Org (60,000 items) takes 2-3 hours. Sandboxes run slower than Production.
You can set the Org Model sync to run nightly. This is set up in the Elements Space Management page in the Connections section.
Sync failed (got an email or message in Org Model):
Sometimes it seems like Salesforce servers just "lost the plot" and stopped. We're not told why. It may be that some metadata has synced.
Simply rerunning the sync works. I know it sounds awful, but usually it runs fine.Sync fails almost instantly:
This normally means that the Remote Site Setting is incorrect, so Salesforce won't let Elements sync. This could be for the following reasons:
- One of the two Remote Site Setting is missing or incorrect. There should be https://api.q9elements.com and then EITHER https://na99.salesforce.com where na99 is your server OR https://AAA.my.salesforce.com where AA is your MyDomain.
- Your Org has been moved to new pod, i.e. na53 to na8. So, you need to update the Remote Site Setting, e.g. https://na53.salesforce.com changed to https://na57.salesforce.com.
- You have implemented MyDomain which means you need to ADD a new Remote Site Setting, e.g. https://AAA.my.salesforce.com where AA is your MyDomain.
- The Org has 'Lock Sessions to the IP address from which they originated' in Security/Session Settings enabled. This stops Salesforce from being able to make REST api calls to itself which the Elements Sync requires. This setting will also stop the Salesforce Workbench from being able to make REST api calls. Here is a detailed article on Salesforce Session Settings and login IP ranges
Sync returns a "Salesforce token not found" error
This means that either:
- in Elements, the connection has not been authenticated; or
- in Elements, the Salesforce user that was authenticated does not belong to this Org or does not have right to access the API.
You can reset the token in the Integrations page of Space Management in Elements.
You need to make sure that there are no other Salesforce Orgs open or Elements can authenticate with the wrong Org. The easiest way is to:
- Log out of all Orgs
- Clear all cookies and cache from browser
- Log back into Elements Space Management page
- Click ‘refresh token’
- Login to the correct Prod or Sandbox Org
Not all managed package metadata has synced:
We sync all the core data and the managed packages that you have selected to be included.
These are set in the Elements Space Management page in the Connections section.
How do I sync every night?
This are set in the Elements Space Management page in the Connections section.
An item (e.g. object) doesn't seem to be in Org Model
For some reason an item caused an error and won't sync. There is no consistent pattern. Rather than stop the whole sync, we skip it and keep going. We can look back into the log files and work with you to resolve the issue.
Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org with your email, the Org Model name and Space name.
Rerun the sync:
Simply rerunning the sync works. I know it sounds awful, but most times it runs ok. You can kick off the sync from the
- Elements Space Management page in the Connections page
- In the Org Model in the right panel in the SYNC HISTORY tab
Email us with your Org Model name and Space name. We can then wade through the huge (500k) log file to find out what happened.